Monday, September 15, 2008

Wall Paper, Wall Border, Wall Stencils, oh my!

For almost every room in our house I have had one thought upon first seeing it "What were they thinking?!?!?". We have been quite busy tearing our house apart to make it more our style. I wanted to wait until we had each room re-done before I showed any pictures, but I was a little more optimistic on our timeline a month ago. Things are progressing, but it's exhausting tearing everything down that the previous homeowners have done!!! Here are some before pics and some after glimpses of what our house is going through. And my apologies to anyone who has a tender spot in their heart for early 90's style wall paper, and stenciling, I think it's absolutely hideous, and want it banished from my house forever! (and I would seriously reconsider it if I were you) All right, first are the rooms we haven't touched, and then we move on to the rooms we've actually changed.

Guess which room this is???
Our half bath downstairs, this print makes the space feel quite regal really

Our master bathroom, and another touch of class


I don't care how much our next child loves trains, this artwork will be gone

All right, you REALLY can't tell how bad this one was. The color on the wall was a weird pinkish/peachy tan color...it sort of freaked me out


All right, so here is a little aftershot of the room, it needs a lot of decorating, and I'm working on it, but I love the chocolate brown color


We didn't have time to take a close up of the multiple wall borders before I tore them down. UGH, they were SO BAD (we have yet to change the light fixtures, but oh the flourescent light will be torn down and burned soon)

a little glimpse at the kitchen, new countertops, new appliances, and a new look for the walls. We still need to put up a backsplash, change hardware, light fixtures and flooring, and I don't know, maybe some decorations?


Ah, my personal favorite. I really have no words for this


I've always wanted a red room, and now I have one. Here is a tiny glimpse, I'm planning on making this a show stopper (it was before, but in a very bad way)

Anyway, back to tearing things down, sanding, priming, washing, caulking, spackling, and painting! (I'm so tired!)

16 comments:

Dents said...

Wow you guys have been so busy! Moving in alone is hard, but you have done some great remodeling as well. Some of your wall borders reminded me of walking through castles in Europe :) I think my favorite is the laundry on the clothesline...is that an East coast thing? I never knew such wallpaper concoctions existed. Your home looks very stylish...I still haven't started decorating mine.

Emma said...

Wow I love the changes you've made. The before pictures really cracked me up! Good luck with the rest.

Kailey said...

Love what you have done, LOVE IT! We did a chocolate brown in our living room too! Only ours is just a bit lighter to match our stone fire place. I love the white up against yours. And the red room is fabulous! Man, when I saw the first picture before reading, I thought you were trying to tell us what gender your baby is. I was way confused... not only because it seemed a little gender neutral, but I was wondering WHAT were you thinking with that wall paper trim. Can the East coast really change a person that much? Glad to see it hasn't!!! How is the babe, by the way?

The Knight Family said...

Wow, your house looks beautiful! I am totally impressed! Hope everything else is going great. Naomi

Julie said...

The green (now red) room had me laughing for quite a while. The changes you've made so far look awesome. Once Chris and I have been married for 9 years I will finally be able to paint my home the colors I want it to be-unless our economy goes so downhill that Chris decided we should stay in an apartment for the rest of our lives.

Julia said...

Oh Jessica, I SOSOSOSOSO feel your pain. As we speak, I'm hiding in my room, eating chocolate chips and checking people's blogs, all the while knowing that I SHOULD be in the next room painting MORE WHITE TRIM. Or wiping drywall dust off everything. Or putting away a box. Or hanging curtains. Or maybe even MAKING DINNER. Holy cow, it's tiring isn't it? But your house looks SO GOOD! Well done!!!!!!

robin marie said...

i love all the changes! great job. i especially love the red room!

Ken said...

Well, look at you! Looks like the hard work has paid off. Do the boys know you are going to paint over those awesome stenciled trains? I think you should add some tigers and clowns on the top of them and make it a circus themed room for the new baby. I do like the BOLD color choices. I wish I could enlarge your pics so I can see closer. Ken and I have been debating for a couple years if we want to add a chocolate brown wall to our bedroom. I'm too lazy now to change much.

Lisa said...

You definitely made some upgrades, but I'm not gonna lie there was no where to go...but up!

Lindsey said...

Wow! And you've done all this while being pregnant?! You are a trooper! I knew if I didn't get our nursery painted before I got pregnant it would never happen. I LOVE the chocolate brown, it looks so good with the white wood work! Keep up the good work. I look forward to more pictures of your amazing work!

Becca said...

Wow, I love the dramatic changes! Keep posting all of your upgrades and decorating. I need ideas to steal for when we actually buy a house some day.

cat said...

oh my word! lovin lovin the paint colors. the brown and red are to die for.
but my favorite is the wallpaper borders you put up and the green room... hehe!
seriously though it is already looking gorgeous. i can't believe that you are doing this all pregnant too! you are the woman.
about that chandelier in the dining room, the brass one. it is the same one that i put in edies room, i just spray painted it, so think of it black with cute lightbulbs.. much cheaper than replacing it for now!
I MISS YOU!

Tukuafu's said...

Wow is all I can say about the fantastic decor.. Good job to you guys for getting the house painted and stuff.. I love the red wall! I'll call you soon, I miss you!

Shaniqua

Unknown said...

It looks great Jess. You have a great eye for color and seeing the potential of what can be. I am amazed at your ability to do so much being pregnant and having your boys there. You're truly awonder mom.

Bri said...

You are really doing a great Job! I love the colors you chose. Does the Chair rail in the dining room bother you at all? I was wondering because you painted the same color on both sides. I bet it looks great in person. I am jealous of the fun you are having. Doesnt it feel great to put all that work into it and love it?

Andrea said...

Hi! I don't know you but somehow landed on your blog - through Naomi's (that's right). I looked at your before/afters and thought the bordered rooms were something you did. I am so glad to find out I was wrong although taking down borders and wall paper can be quite the task. I love what you've done with the painting and the kitchen and all. You have a great eye for color and modernizing the old! :0) I promise I am not some creepy odd person. Even if I was, it would take me a while to get to wherever you are from Alaska - cause I know you are not here!

Rylan stealing Beckam"s Pacifier (7 months old)